If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (330) 921-4931

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Preventing Mold in School Buildings

8/25/2020 (Permalink)

Ceiling tile in school with water damage and mold SERVPRO of North Columbiana wants our schools to be as safe as possible! If you suspect mold in your schools or commercial building, give us a call!

Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, if moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressedIt is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture indoors.

Molds reproduce by making spores that usually cannot be seen without magnification. Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive.

Moisture problems in school buildings can be caused by a variety of conditions, including roof and plumbing leaks, condensation, and excess humidity. Some moisture problems in schools have been linked to changes in building construction practices during the past twenty to thirty years. These changes have resulted in more tightly sealed buildings that may not allow moisture to escape easily. Moisture problems in schools are also associated with delayed maintenance or insufficient maintenance, due to budget and other constraints. Temporary structures in schools, such as trailers and portable classrooms, have frequently been associated with moisture and mold problems.

Tip #1: Keep on the HVAC system.

Over the summer, some school administrators make the mistake of turning off HVAC systems in order to save money.  HVAC systems keep humidity in check and by turning them off you can potentially create the perfect environment for mold.  While it may cost more to keep the HVAC system running, it can ultimately save you money in the long run. 

Tip #2: Purchase a humidity sensor.

If keeping your HVAC system on in your school building is not an option, consider buying a humidity sensor.  Rather than running the HVAC system day and night, a humidity sensor can allow you to track the levels of humidity in the air and turn on the HVAC system when necessary.

Tip #3: Keep a watchful eye on problem areas.

Remember, the perfect environment for mold is anywhere that has moisture.  Some problem areas might include storage areas, bathrooms, or kitchens in a school.  The earlier you are aware of a mold problem, the less likely you are to suffer costly damages.

SERVPRO of North Columbiana County wants our schools to be as safe as possible. If you suspect mold in your schools or commercial building, do not hesitate to give us a call. We can come in and inspect your building and then devise a plan to eliminate the mold.

Call us today! (330) 921 4931

Connect with us on Facebook

Other News

View Recent Posts